Rolleimarin restoration

Rolleimarin restoration

Beitragvon GKAM » Mi 15. Jul 2015, 20:25

Let me start by apologizing once again for using English on a German forum. I'm trying to improve, but my German just isn't good enough yet.

Here are some photos from the restoration steps of my RM. I didn't keep full record of each step, just few pictures taken with a smartphone here and there.

The housing was acquired about three years ago, with no camera, turret or focus adaptor. A prism was shipped with the RM but unfortunately the fixing screws were missing and two were seized up and broken. I was however able to carefully drill out the old material and tap new threads. (the stainless allen head screws in the photo were just used to help align the tap since this was done by hand)

Broken screws.jpg

Everything got stripped down and cleaned in warm soap water. Smaller parts placed in ultrasonic bath to remove years of crusted old grease.

Ultrasonic Bath.jpg

The RM was reassembled and left aside for a long time, wondering if I will ever be able to find all the missing pieces and bring her to a more complete state. At some point, I decided to start trying again and got my hands on a 3.5F Rolleiflex for a reasonable price. Almost by chance this spring I met Franz Rothbrust who connected me to John Wild and both helped source the needed parts. Within the space of a month I had everything necessary to get this little beauty in shape!

This morning I received amongst other things a NOS hose from Franz to replace the cracked grey one.

Old strap.jpg

Puzzle: how to change the hose, but preserve the old rope.

Old Strap 2.jpg

Examining the stopper knot (red circle) and measuring the longest distance from join to aluminum attachment I realized it was about equal to the length of the hose. The trick is to undo the knot, cut the ropes, slide the hose over, join the rope back together and then tie the knot again. It is a bit fiddly, but certainly possible.

Hose_sml.jpg

"Measure twice, cut once"... then join again by melting, add some nylon thread to ensure everything stays in place. I also added a piece of white shrink tubing.

Joining.jpg

Not too sure I like the white shrink tubing, maybe it's something to think about.

Repaired Strap.jpg

Here is what the restored RM looks like on display.

GKAM_RM 2399s.jpg

/GKAM
GKAM
HTG-Mitglied

Vorname: Kamarinos

Re: Rolleimarin restoration

Beitragvon Franz » Do 16. Jul 2015, 06:15

Hi Georgeos!

In case you are looking for a strobe and a view finder, let me know.

: )
Franz
Franz
HTG-Mitglied

Vorname: Franz
Spezielle Interessen: Alte Tauchausrüstungen, Tauchgeschichte. . . .

Beitragvon Franz » So 19. Jul 2015, 08:27

George!

Take a look:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ROLLEI-ROLLEImar ... 1742998546

That one is in used but nice condition. Too bad that the turret and view finder are missing.

Franz
Franz
HTG-Mitglied

Beitragvon oxydiver » Mo 20. Jul 2015, 05:09

Hi GKAM,

nice restoration, the camera is a cult. If I see the camera, I remember Hans Hass, the red sea and his wonderful oxygen rebreather dives down to crazy 25 meters!

Micha
oxydiver
HTG-Mitglied

Vorname: Michael
Spezielle Interessen: Eigenbau und Tauchen mit altem Gerät, insbesondere Kreislaufgeräten. Sammlung von DDR Tauchtechnik.

Beitragvon GKAM » Mo 20. Jul 2015, 07:47

oxydiver hat geschrieben:Hi GKAM,

nice restoration, the camera is a cult. If I see the camera, I remember Hans Hass, the red sea and his wonderful oxygen rebreather dives down to crazy 25 meters!

Micha

Thanks Micha - different times, different limits ;)

Bounce dives to 20m+ on oxygen are indeed possible but do carry increased risk. Hans Hass almost paid with his life one of these short excursions. That being said, the Mod.138 manual stated 25m as the limit. Makes the Russian military seem conservative with their 20m oxygen range. From my IDA71 papers: "Аппарат с ИДА-71У обеспечивает дыхание кислородом при погружении на глубины до 20 м, а в комплекте с баллоном, заполненным КАС, — до 40 м." Nowadays I believe in the western world, excursion limit for oxygen diving is 10min at 15m, transit depth around 6m.

/GKAM

Draeger138.25.jpg
GKAM
HTG-Mitglied

Beitragvon oxydiver » Mo 20. Jul 2015, 15:44

GKAM hat geschrieben: different times, different limits ;)

Yes of course, the manual "Medi Nixe" writes in the year 1955: 12-15m for one hour :-)

Micha
Dateianhänge
tiefenlimit.jpg
tiefenlimit.jpg (52.82 KiB) 14805-mal betrachtet
oxydiver
HTG-Mitglied

Vorname: Michael
Spezielle Interessen: Eigenbau und Tauchen mit altem Gerät, insbesondere Kreislaufgeräten. Sammlung von DDR Tauchtechnik.

Beitragvon GKAM » Sa 25. Jul 2015, 07:20

Here is an interesting eBay listing with a 1972 ad for RM4. The RM appears to have S/N 2508 (although it's hard to tell). That would likely place my RM4 pre-1972.

DF_RM41972.jpg
DF_RM41972.jpg (90.58 KiB) 14785-mal betrachtet

According to the following manual, RM4 numbering started at 2250. Would anyone have more details on how to identify the exact year of manufacture based on S/N?

RM_SN table.png

/GKAM
GKAM
HTG-Mitglied

Beitragvon Franz » Sa 25. Jul 2015, 08:04

Hi George!

This is how you can identify the different models:

Franz

ROLLEImarin model identification.

Prism:
RM 1 - 3, the prism has a chromed lever to fix the camera in position.
RM 4 prisms hold the camera by a snapin on both sides.

Kontrol knobs:
RM 1: The aperture control knob has an irregular engraved scale. The shutter speed engravings are in even steps, "B" in larger distance.
RM 2 & 3: Evenly divided scales for aperture and shutter speed. B and 500 in the same distance.
RM 4: Evenly devided scales for apperture and shutter speed. B and 500 in larger distance. Some shutter speed control knobs show a "3, 5 F" engraving.

Strobe
RM 1 – 3, strobe “head” in fixed position
RM 4, strobe head can be pivoted in positions 1, 2 & 3.

Focus adaptor inner diameter:
RM 1: 24 mm, additional round part, that fits into a RM 2 adaptor.
RM 2: 33mm
RM 3: 39mm
RM 4: 39mm

Turrets, cup diameters:
RM 1: 15 mm
RM 2: 19, 5 mm
RM 3, 19, 5 mm, cups partially cut away.
RM 4: 20, 5 mm

The different models can not be identified by their series numbers because some had been made during the same period of time.
RM 1: 1954 - 1963
RM 2: 1954 - 1963
RM 3: 1956 - 1963
RM 4: 1961 - 1981

RM 1 & 2: 2000 housings were manufactured
RM 3 & 4: 2000 housings were manufactured

Numbering started with "500" and ended with "3500"
Franz
HTG-Mitglied

Zurück zu Unterwasserkameras